Saturday, March 29, 2008

What's next?

My DH's uncle passed away unexpectantly on Thursday. We just came in from the funeral. When these things happen it makes you start the difficult conversations of what's next? I had several family members ask me what I thought came after death. The Scripture that came to mind was John 14:2-3 In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also." The minister who preached the message at the funeral said, "The Bible says, absent in the flesh, present with the Lord." Does anyone know what Scripture that is? My m-in-law said that Jesus said to the others on the cross, "Today you will be with me in paradise."
So, my question is, what do you say to a family in grief? I know this is not the place for complex theology. What are your experiences?

1 comment:

WanderingLili said...

My sister and her husband recently lost their Papa Bear (my Brother-in-law's father). I find that this is one of the more difficult areas to touch on as a family, because we greave so differently. I need to "do" - stay busy and don't sit still, Lor needs to "Cry and ask Why", and sue needs to "just be" and cry. So for me learning how my sisters Greave has helped me help them.

As for what's next... I am not a bible aficionado, but what I think of is first that the Lord will not give you anything you can't handle, and I can do all things through Christ who strengthens. To those that have lost and are looking for answers, God needed them more than we did. But now that I think of it I like your description and verses better.

You are so smart I love learning from you!

Lili