The olympics have inspired me so much it is fun and exciting to watch our favorites “go for the gold.” But I imagine it’s not so exciting to watch the daily practices. The hours and hours of falling off the beam, hitting the wall, missing the goal. I imagine it’s no fun as one athlete said, “I haven’t ordered dessert in two years.” To be an Olympic champion you must put in the work, every day, you must push through the pain, the disappointment, make no excuses this is how you become strong.
Training for the olympics is a metaphor for training for life. We are all working toward perfection. To be more like Jesus. We must put in the time to reach this goal. We must study, pray, worship and grow. But we are a grumbling people. That word is used a lot in the Bible. We grumble, we complain, we make excuses.
The Good News is that we are never alone. God is with us, our coach, our cheerleader. God is with us when we fail, God is with us when we succeed.
As awesome as winning an Olympic Gold Medal is, it will be put in a sock drawer where dust, and time will eat it away.
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21
But when we put in the work each day of drawing closer to Jesus we will never be disappointed. And if we falter and fall, it’s ok, God’s grace will pull us through this race. So today, I am going to put some work into reading God’s word. I am not going for the gold, I am going for God.
No comments:
Post a Comment