Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summertime Siesta?

Well the days are longer but it is HOT. I think we should institute a summer siesta. After lunch, during the really hot part of the day, we should take naps. I have found naps can really refresh me and help me be more productive. I have found during the summer I am most productive in a cool air conditioned room in the evening. In the afternoon it is too hot to be productive. Now that I am a pastor I have this urge to relate everything to a biblical story. I have taken some time to research naps in the bible. Ok, I'll admit I just googled it, but David and Joseph had great visions in their dreams. Angels come to many biblical characters in their dreams like Saul and Joseph (Mary's husband, you know Jesus' step-dad). I did find it a little disturbing that asleep was a euphemism for death, so let me be sure to say clearly I am not advocating us not waking up, but rather just resting. And then of course when Jesus is praying in the garden of Gesthamane (spelling?) the disciples keep falling asleep and Jesus is not too happy with them. If they had only taken a nap earlier in the day they may have been able to stay awake and pray with Jesus when he asked them too. So, I think a summer siesta may be a good thing to do, we would need to plan it, bring our blankies to work, put a message on our voice mail, "It is too hot to work now, I am not away from my desk, I am under it taking a nice nap, I will get back to you when the mercury hits around 90 again, have a nice day!" So, are you willing to sign up for this summer siesta? Let me know your best napping experience.

1 comment:

WanderingLili said...

I LOVE this post!!! I am so with you it isn't funny. When I was prego, months 2-7 I could sleep anywhere and DID. I especassy liked my "sun baked car in the freezing cold of Jan and Feb at lunch time! But my all time favorite are Sunday afternoons!!!