These are the thoughts, questions, and fragments I am letting out of the box
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Sleeping in on Sunday
So I slept in on another Sunday. Two Sunday's in a row and I have heard the alarm, rolled over and gone back to sleep. Sleeping in on Sunday is unusual for a pastor. We have not had regular worship at church due crazy winter weather that has made me forget what color my house used to be other than white. What I have realized is yes, it's nice to be able to sleep an hour longer on Sunday, but Sunday has lost it's "specialness." I like the way Sunday seems to stand out and be set apart from the other days of the week. I feel refreshed, renewed, rejuvenated when I have participated in meaningful worship. I feel centered and ready to face the world anew when I have sung praises to the Lord within the community of believers. Now, I know, church is not perfect. I know there are times when an ugly comment may reach your ears, or your tummy rumbles through the whole sermon, or your questions are not answered. It is the regular routine of worship, adoration, confession and praise that fills my cup. Some Sunday's it may be a quarter of a cup and others my cup overflows. It is not about how much God gives me, but how ready I am to give myself to God. Sunday reminds me that this world is not about me, it is about us and how we give back the love that is given to us. So, I am going to spend some time in the Word today, I will light a candle and pray, and I will recall all the times my voice as joined with yours in prayer and praise. I hope to be with you next Sunday, whether it be in body or only in Spirit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amen! I appreciate the rest, but I'm ready to worship in community again. In fact, I may have to check out morning prayer at the Episcopal church this week just to get centered and remind myself of what community worship is like!
Post a Comment