So, I am stumped. I want to celebrate his birthday, another year, another marker, but I am looking for new ways to acknowledge his (and next month my) special days. I have struggled with this since Christmas. So, do you have any ideas on how to celebrate a birthday without material things? I am waiting to hear your suggestions or your support in this new phase in my life I am calling post-consumerism.
These are the thoughts, questions, and fragments I am letting out of the box
Friday, March 12, 2010
Post-consumerism
I think I am getting older and wiser. I am getting to the point where I don't want many things anymore. When I walk into a store and see clothes I think, "I don't need more to wash". When I see knicknacks I think "I don't need anything to dust." Even when I see books I think, "Once I read that it will sit on the shelf, and I love our new library." So this year, as my husband's birthday is rolling around I feel led not to buy him stuff. I don't feel like I need to give him an object to show my love. I mean, in the end, no physical object can show or tell my husband how much I love him, how much I respect him, how glad I am to be his wife.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What about a membership to a museum or movie/show tickets or even an amusment park. I've found myself in the same sort of situation lots of times in the last couple of years and found that the gifts that the Hub likes the most are experiences rather that things. Good luck and I miss you!
i totally agree on the pointless material items. for birthdays, we love to just go out to eat at a nice restaurant or you could cook him a meal and give him a nice massage! :)
I have given Ed home-made coupon books before. "Good for one back massage" kind of things. This is a day too late for you but maybe for a future idea! :)
Post a Comment