Monday, December 21, 2009

Nor'Easter moment


This picture I took in my back yard is a perfect visual for the Easter moment that has unfolded over the past few days. I had all of these great plans for this week. I had all my lists made and ready to be checked off. I was ready to spread Christmas cheer far and near. And then I learned a new word, Nor'easter, it has nothing to do with the resurrection for most people, but it does for me. A nor'easter is a lot of snow fall. This massive snow fall, for the part of the country I live in, literally stopped everything. It has been quite discombobulating this feeling of not knowing what to do next. At first I enjoyed the snow, the beautiful blanket of white that covered the land. Each snowflake is so small and fragile, but with millions of icy friends they proved to make mountains out of molehills. As I felt myself losing control of my plans, I was angry, I was sad, I was bored, and then I had what I am calling a "nor' Easter moment." God sent millions of little snowflakes to show me who is really in control. God showed me that I do not need to leave my house to experience Christmas. Our church's worship service was cancelled due to the weather, so God taught me that I need more than an hour on Sunday morning to worship my Lord. My DH and I found the quietest place in the house, the guest room, we sat on the floor and we opened our Bibles, we read the Word to each other. We experienced the presence of Emmanuel (God with us). We were not wearing our Sunday best, we were wearing our Saturday worst, we did not sit in a church pew, we worshiped on the floor. It was not fancy, but it was real and we re-committed our steps to follow our Creator. The Lord God Almighty, who can stop the world with millions of tiny snowflakes, who can change the world with a baby in a manger and a well positioned star, who can warm my over-committed heart with his Word, who can even make my to-do list obsolete, is patiently waiting for your time. I pray that you also receive a "Nor'Easter moment" this Christmas.

3 comments:

anna murdock said...

Oh Sarah, what a glorious worship service! No worship team could have planned such a thing. Only God! Thanks for sharing this. (PS ...your dog's picture makes me smile everytime I visit your blog)

Sara W said...

that is precious.

WanderingLili said...

I'm right there with ya girl. I HAD TO WORK!!!