Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cheap date with your spouse

How we made our date day into an adventure back in time....
We picked a topic that we both were interested in, we chose King Arthur because we have really been getting into this new show called Merlin. We went to our brand new library, split up and researched our topic. It was really fun because I was trying to get the materials before he could get to them and he wasn't concerned at all about speed. My competitive side came out as I spied on him and let out silent shouts of joy as he would got to a space ad see that it the book was already gone. It was like a scavenger hunt. We both checked out with our prizes and headed for a used book store in downtown.
We put the address in our GPS and away we went to explore a new part of town. This book store, The Black Swan, is AWESOME. I love the smell of old books, the sound of my sneakers on the hard word floors, and the feeling of potential knowledge enclosing in on my brain. There were wonderfully squeaky chairs, and secret reading nooks (ok, probably not secret but I can pretend). We had two scores. One we found a beautiful copy of Morte D"Arthur and two I found a Book of Common Prayer pre-1945 (I've been looking for awhile). With all of our treasurers safely tucked into our reusable shopping back we headed to a new coffee shop we had heard about. We spent an hour in the coffee shop searching for the answer to our theme question for the day, "How did Arthur die?" This caused great fun and we didn't talk about work!!
Our final search for the day was to find a restaurant that matched our new found knowledge. I mean when you have spent the day with Lancelot and Guinevere you can't go to McDonalds. Well, we found The Tavern and the ambiance matched our mood exactly. As we left the restaurant a hard rain fell from the sky and my DH, my King Arthur, my knight put his proverbial cloak over the rain puddles for me. Oh, and how did King Arthur die? Well, the answer is a mystery and I encourage you to embark on your own quest.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

What a neat idea! Sound like you all had a great time.

Sarah :) said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

WanderingLili said...

How creative. I don't think I would even know where to start on that one.