Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good Birthday Thank You!

I had an awesome birthday surprise party thrown by my dear husband last year. I wrote a blog about it if you want to check it out. Anyway, I remember being sad after the festivities because I knew I was moving 800 miles away from all of my friends and family. I thought to myself, this will be the last birthday party you have for a long time. Well, how wrong I was!! The title of my blog is bloom where you are planted because I believe that is what all God's people are called to do, to flourish and thrive despite our current circumstances or surroundings. God has shown me in many ways this past year that the garden of life is full of wonderful friends no matter where you are planted. I had three birthday dinners, received several gifts from old friends and new friends, had 2 different people each give me 2 dozen cupcakes, and the phone rang off the hook with birthday greetings. I also received countless e-mails, posts, and snail mail cards with birthday cheer. Friends from all over the country took a minute to say, "Hey I remembered today is your special day and you are special to me."
My dear husband came through as always and got all of my hints as to what gift I wanted plus he brought me a chocolate lovers cake on Saturday and then made me chocolate mousse on my birthday. My favorite gift of all was from a new friend who gave me a potted pink gerber daisy. Ten percent of the sale of the daisy went to help Breast Cancer Awareness. My new friend said, "When I saw this in the store, I said that's Sarah." These cheerful daisies and the way they came into my life were a reminder from God that I am blooming is my new surroundings. It makes me feel good that my new friend recognized my heart for service and charity. It made me feel good that in my new home I have made a difference. My life matters, no matter where I am!
So to all of my friends near and far, thank you for being the flowers in my life, take my advice and bloom where you are planted, and always remember the master gardener is your creator.

3 comments:

WanderingLili said...

Yay for Birthday! And Yay for good friends New and old! Happy Birthday Sarah (a little late)!

Oh and I did know that you were only 1.5 hrs away! Yahoo!!! We will need to do some visiting!

Oh and a new SBS chapter just started in Baltimore! Yay

Stephanie Sabbe said...

Happy Birthday! Your sweet for thinking of me regarding interior design. Hope all is well in KY. You've done such cute things with your sweet house!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am sooooo excited (actually my entire family) that you are going to be our new pastor. Googled you, yes guilty as charged, snooping a bit to check you out. Don't you hate that? Found out only fantastic things. Wish you could start tomorrow! Ok, I know, trying to respect the work of those before you but just can't stop smiling since I heard the news. Hope you find our church a great place to bloom. Blessings