Sunday, July 13, 2008

In a time far, far, away...





The Cotswolds is known for it's beautiful country. The rolling hills and stone fences of my imagination from BBCAmerica. Sheep wandered around the vast green pastures. I started to count them but it make me sleepy (jk). Our group went to Burford, a charming town that hasn't change much in 500 years. The Cotswolds used to be famous for its high quality wool until the machines of the Industrial Revolution (steam powered loom) couldn't handle the delicate yarn. Back in the day there were 2 sheep for every person in England. In other words there were double the sheep to people. These are the same sheep the English would not send to the new American colonies. The colonists either had to pay an arm and a leg to England for good wool or turn to alternatives like the cotton that built the south. (I received this bit of information at Colonial Williamsburg). So today international diplomacy revolves around gas then it was about sheep. It illustrates the point that in every generation we have our issues, the only thing that changes is the object of the issue.


Another piece of information I learned on the tour is to be considered a village a town had to have a church. Now many of these old churches have been turned into private residences. The preservation laws in the UK have kept these villages looking like they did 500 years ago, only with a car park in front. I can not impart in words the magnitude of the history that surrounds you in England. I fell as a tiny drop in the vast sea of time that God created. But, every drop in that sea matters to God! Well, the pictures are worth more than my words. Some of the pictures from the walking tour will be uploaded to my facebook page.


1 comment:

WanderingLili said...

Sarah, What a beautiful place. Reading your discriptions make me fee like I am there and can really see it. Can't wait to hear more.

P.S when do we get to see pix of your house?