Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hot Squash


This is a shout out for embarassing food moments...so share yours and read my most recent. I bought this AWESOME cookbook called Hungry Girl by Lisa Lillien. The tag line is "Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-free eating in the real world." You can check her out at hungry-girl.com

Anyway, I was making the Amazing Ate-Layer Dip. The recipe calls for butternut squash instead of refried beans (I know it sounds gross but it tasted great in the end). The recipe says, "Nuke squash in a covered microwave-safe dishe for 6-7minutes. I was so excited to find that this glass loaf pan that was the perfect size and I put the whole butternut squash in the dish and nuked it. I was kind of sad though because he looked like squash dude from Veggie Tales. Seven minutes later I had a really hot squash. It was supposed to be tender enough to smash. It wasn't! So I called my DH (the resident chef) to the kitchen and he kindly and gently pointed to the list of ingredients which said, "2 1/2 cups PEELED and CUBED butternut squash, not a whole one. In the past I would have broken into tears and called Papa Johns but I am more mature now. I sliced the squash down the middle, scooped out the insides and nuked it some more. The dip turned out great and it was a healthy alternative to a favorite dish of ours. But, now the term Hot Squash has a special meaning in our house.

2 comments:

WanderingLili said...

For your baseball my dear...
http://www.sportsgifts.com/ber-62.html

And as for this post - You know my chicken liver story... If not let me know and I will tell you. I am a walking embarassing food moment. The fun part is, sometimes I end up making something even more tasty then I intended. Granted it is something completely different than what I started out making, but HEY, who am I to complain!

Well done Sara "Hot Squash"!

loui said...

It is how it tastes in the end that matters! Sounds good.