Thursday, March 15, 2012

God is working when I am piddling

This week has been a cleaning up bits and pieces, odds and ends, do something here and there, constantly moving but not really finishing anything big. My mother calls this piddling. She loves to piddle. In fact one of her favorite things about being retired is the free time to piddle. When I piddle I feel a guilt, like there is something bigger I should be completing.
Today, I was reminded that God is always working even when I think I am piddling.
This woman was looking for the bathroom in the church. After I showed her where that was I started a conversation with her. It turns out she is the daughter of a homebound member of my congregation. She shared some information with me and I with her...God's grace was working in that encounter, in that relationship, and in my piddling.
A wise clergywoman told me once, "Sarah there is an ebb and flow to ministry, just go with it, rest when you need to rest, go with the flow when it's flowing, but most of all don't worry, God is always working." Thank you God, for giving me a season to piddle and rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy you posted again. I love reading your blog. Amanda