Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Today I wear a deep blue for Valentine's Day


Why is red the "official" color of Valentine's Day? Is it because we draw red hearts? Our actual hearts, the one's that pump blood, are not just red, there are veins of blue, muscles etc. Is that why we, as a society, collectively chose red as the "official" color for love? Valentine's day we celebrate love, not the heart as in the organ, but the metaphorical heart, the place of love. So today, to celebrate love I am wearing a deep blue. The reason is simple, the deep blue reminds me of my husband's eyes, and that is a better symbol for me of love than a red heart.
My husband's deep blue eyes that have been sad with me, the eyes that have held a tear for me, the eyes that have smiled with me, the eyes that dance with joy for me, that is where I see love.
Today, I do celebrate the love between me and my dear husband. I celebrate, appreciate, and remember by wearing deep blue. Now, can I please get a dozen blue roses? What, they don't exist? That's ok, roses aren't a great symbol of love either.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Beautiful thoughts eloquently articulated. Not every couple manages to keep love alive for a decade, but you and Rob have, and it brings me joy to see it.