Thursday, December 17, 2015


  Christmas can be a hard time of year for some people who are experiencing grief. Many people tell me they don't know what to say. The answer is you don't have to say anything, just be present, send a card, let them know you care. If you do want to say something just simply say, "I am sorry for your loss, I am holding you in prayer." Be natural. Don't force them to come to your Christmas party, but do invite them. Don't avoid talking about those who have died, share a warm memory you have. Don't assume someone needs to "move on with their life" It doesn't matter if the loss occurred last month or twenty years ago, this season brings back memories and reminds people of their loss. And for some, the losses have added up over the years. So, if the person needs time and space alone, give it to them.  You don't have to hide your Christmas cheer when they are around, but also don't insist that they have it too.   
  I have written this prayer that you can share with those you know who are missing someone this year. Feel free to cut and paste and e-mail the prayer to them. In the midst of your business, take a moment to remember those who are grieving, send a prayer up to heaven, and then reach out and let them know you care.

Gracious God, 
  I give thanks for your amazing love that carries me through the darkness and silence. This is a hard time of the year, because my heart misses so much. On the outside, everything shouts, this is the time of joy and merriment, but inside, I hear silence, loneliness and grief. I miss ........... (name) the voice, the laughter, the warm hand, the soft hug, just being together. Hold me gently Lord, carry the light of Christmas for me, walk by my side and remind me that I am not alone. Whisper into my silence; fear not, the Savior is born. Help my heart find peace on earth until you hold me in your arms dear Emmanuel. Amen



No comments: