To catch your breath, you need to stop running!
Yesterday, I sat outside and breathed. So many of us take breathing for granted. We do it without thinking, thank God! A few years ago, whenever I was asked to pray, I would say, "Let's pray" and then take a long slow breath. After one of these prayers, a woman said to me, "I was afraid you had forgotten what you were going to say!" This led to a discussion on breathing. So many of us have a hurried pace to our days. Taking long, slow, deep breaths is not just a way to calm down, it's a way to center ourselves and take a moment tho thank God for that breath. No matter where you are, paying attention to your breathing for a few minutes, can connect you straight to God.
So often I hear people who want to have a more intimate connection with God, our breath is that intimate connection.
Meditate on this verse for a moment
"...the Lord God formed the human from the topsoil of the fertile land and blew life's breath into his nostrils."
Genesis 2:8 Contemporary English Bible.
We can't get much closer to God, than God's own breath in our lungs. This world changes very fast. It seems as soon as we upgrade one system, another one is ready to come out. As soon as we get our handle on one fire, another one pops up somewhere else. As soon as we think we've got it all together, the gas light comes on. This is a fast paced, technological world, but God designed some simple reminders of his presence, our breath is one of those gifts.
So yesterday, I got home and I sat outside for a bit, I let the dog romp and play and I did nothing, but breathe. Breathe and thank God for that breath. Achoo! And then I sneezed, and I thanked God for that topsoil and the pollen too.
Prayer: (Take a long, slow, deep breath). Lord, you breathe life into me, may I breathe your Word into your creation. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment