Saturday, September 6, 2008

Dawn and Dishes

I have experienced my first Hurricane. Now, to be fair it's tropical depression Hanna but it has caused me to reflect. I knew it was coming, the news has been telling us for days. High School football games were played one night earlier in anticipation. But as the clouds rolled in, the sky darkened, and the rain came pouring down, I felt like the weather, a tropical depression. I felt stuck in the house. My dog was going crazy. My husband is sick. There was no sunshine in my life. But I forced myself through this blue period by filling the time with house cleaning. This can be an endless task. So I felt bombarded with Mt. Washmore (laundry) and fed up with dishpan hands. I felt like there was no sunshine in my life, everything felt bland and dreary, like the weather outside.


Then I looked at the dish soap, "Dawn" and it dawned on me that I had forgotten about God today. I hadn't called him (pray), spent time with him (Bible study), or thanked him. So I began saying thank you, thank you for this house, thank you for the rain, thank you for a crazy dog as I washed the dishes. I would like to say the clouds broke and the sun came out, but it didn't. Slowly but surely I felt better, like putting on a clean shirt. I felt peace. Finally the rain stopped for a moment and I ran outside with my dog for a walk. But really it was a walk and talk with my Jesus. I sang praise songs with my ipod, felt the hurricane winds in my hair, and felt my blood moving around my body. I had a moment with the Holy Spirit. I realized the Spirit is always here waiting on me and I can worship during the most mundane tasks. I went back to finish the dishes thinking about this "Dawn" moment and just as my soap ran out I reached under the sink for another bottle and guess what I found "Joy."

2 comments:

WanderingLili said...

Hehe So cute! God works in the most wonderous ways, and to think that he even controls what dish soap is on sale. Pretty Cool!!!

Caleb and Anna said...

I love it! I'm so glad the Lord is bringing you joy- and has brought you to a place where you need Him so intimately, even though I know it is hard at times! -A