Monday, August 18, 2008

Are you a Christian?

I watched the Saddle Back church discussion with McCain and Obama. One of the questions was basically, What makes you a Christian? They gave the normal Bible based answers and didn't seem genuine. I wanted the candidates to go farther out on the limb and speak from the heart (wishful thinking). This made me think of what my answer would be. The moments we have to share our faith with others usually happen quickly and in unexpected times. So I am going to practice, what do you think about this?
I am a Christian because I know Jesus is my Savior. I try to live the best life I can following the teachings of Jesus but I know I am not perfect. When I confess my sins I feel forgiven. I am not special because I am a Christian, I am special because God loves me. I feel this love in my life and it makes me want to respond by doing more than is required or expected of me in loving and serving my fellow human beings. I live in the same world you do and I struggle every day but my faith helps me direct my life in a positive direction. My faith helps me define my reason for being in this world, my purpose. Reading the Bible, personal prayer and attending corporate worship services help keep me renewed and refreshed. I have daily conversations with God through the Holy Spirit and through that I have built a strong relationship with my Savior and Creator.
So, what do you think? What would you say if you were stuck in an elevator with a person and they asked you if you are a Christian?

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I think that is great! I think that most people would be able to comprehend and understand that answer. I also think it is good that your answer has nothing to do with "church". I think these days alot of people are turned off by the "church" because of bad experiences or they think that it is all for show, etc, etc. You get two thumbs up from me!

WanderingLili said...

I agree with Kristin. I also liked that your answer was simple. no dictionary necessary. So often we get caught up in the words and I like that you answer didn't. Four Stars from me!

Sara W said...

Amen sista'!!!